The Catholic High School League (CHSL) announced last week that Gabriel Richard Catholic High School in Riverview was selected as the CHSL School of the Year. The award is given annually to a school that embodies the Catholic League motto: More Than Good Sports … Good People.
In a letter from the CHSL, Director Vic Michaels wrote, “The Catholic League recognizes the wonderful school that Gabriel Richard has become in many areas of education. Your school’s reputation and tradition both as an excellent educational institution and as a place for good school sports qualify your school for recognition.”
“This is a great honor for our school and community,” Athletic Director Kris Daiek said. “Our student-athletes, coaches, and staff have worked extremely hard on the field and in the classroom. To be recognized for that hard work is a great accomplishment.”
The Pioneers had a successful year with several athletic accomplishments.
- Football made the state playoffs for the first time in 10 years with a 5-4 record. The Pioneers lost in the playoffs to the eventual-state champions, Detroit Loyola.Varsity
- Volleyball won its fourth-consecutive district championship, losing in the regionals to the eventual-state champions.
- Boys’ and girls’ cross country won the MHSAA regional championship for the first time in school’s 50-year history. Boys’ cross country was CHSL sectional champions and CHSL tournament runners up.
- Boys’ varsity basketball won their second-consecutive sectional championship.
- Girls’ varsity basketball won the CHSL tournament championship and the district championship.
- Hockey won the sectional and CHSL tournament championships.
- Boys bowling won the CHSL tournament championship and had four individual state qualifiers. Senior Christian O’Callaghan took fourth place overall in the state.
- Girls’ bowling finished runners up in the CHSL tournament championship.
- Pom and dance finished runners up in the CHSL championship and took third place in the Spirit Shine Competition.
Several student-athletes were also recognized throughout the year with more than 40 accolades including All State, All District, All Regional, All Area, All Catholic, All League and All Academic awards.
Additionally, Gabriel Richard hosted several local, league and state tournaments during the 2014-2015 school year, including:
- MHSAA District Volleyball Tournament
- News Herald Cross Country Meet
- CHSL Girls Basketball Quarterfinals
- MHSAA District Basketball Tournament
Gabriel Richard will be honored on Monday, June 9th at the Catholic League’s 40th Annual Hall of Fame Banquet at Fern Hill Country Club (Clinton Township). This is the first time Gabriel Richard has received this recognition since the award’s inception in 1976.